2/23/11

The Secrets of Ageing

A statue of Dedan Kimathi, one of Kenya's rebel Leaders

Today as I hurriedly jostled past Kimathi Street, something grabbed my attention.

A group of people had gathered around a daily newspaper vendor. Mainstream newspapers carried pictures of the president and the prime minister on the front page. There was also a Weekly Newspaper reporting on gratuitous violence and demonstrations currently experienced in the Middle East.

However, in the middle of all these print, a small book screamed The secrets of Ageing. This got me thinking. Thinking about life and the things we hold on to dearly, either as individuals, as a family unit or as a nation.

I had now stopped and I went short of asking the vendor the price of the book when I spotted a tall and hairy light skinned tourist. He crossed the street and stood next to a big statue of Kimathi wa Waciuri, a tough Mau Mau fighter, taking photos.

These are the things we should cherish in life, I thought. These are the people that we should remember in our prayers every day; people we should miss and be proud of. I turned towards the main campus thinking that perhaps love, courage and the will to continue are the secret of ageing after all.

Caleb Mutua.

Learn more about Dedan Kimathi here

                 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedan_Kimathi

1 comment:

Kayte Wangui said...

I can see we achieving our set targets....keep it up